Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on February 2, 2016, 7 PM at Doherty's.
Area riding reports
- Big River: Pretty Clear.
- Arcadia: Great riding. It was reported that there is a rogue trail builder in Arcadia and there was some discussion about how to reach out to him..
- Lincoln Woods: Good riding conditions
- Burlingame: All Seems well
- Diamond Hill: No Update
- Weetamoe Woods:No Update
- Fun Rides:There will be a need for people to pre-arrow the night before and take them down after 2:00 pm on the days of the events. Contact Chapter President John or post on our Facebook page if you can help.
- Big River Fun Ride:Sunday, May 15, 2016.
- Arcadia Fun Ride:Saturday, September 10, 2016 (orange will be required).
- Group Rides:It was suggested we have a “Beginner Ride” on the first Saturday of the month from Greasy Joe’s. There was discussion about having a “Field Trip” ride on the second Saturday of the month hosted by each VP (or their affiliate) in their assigned area. President John will contact the local VPs asking about leaders for those rides. John will also confirm the weekly ride schedule.
- Beginner Clinic:After last year’s success it was decided that the Beginner Clinic will be held again this year. There were many new ideas and, after much discussion, it was decided that a Sub-Committee will be formed for this event.
- Endurance Series:President John would like to run a series of four (4) 30-40 mile endurance rides throughout Rhode Island. Dates and locations to be decided.
- Meeting Street School: Alan W. explained that Meeting Street School would like to have a beginner bike ride clinic for their inner-city students. It would be an after school (3:30 – 4:30 pm) event held once a week for 6-8 weeks. There would be 10-20 third and fourth grade students and 4-6 volunteers per week would be needed (3/1 ratio). Meeting Street will provide the bikes and helmets for the students, as well as some aids to assist. All volunteers would need to have a background check. Haley S. suggested recruiting high school students who need community service hours to assist. There are still questions regarding the cost of the bus, getting the bikes on the bus and liability that need to be addressed. It was agreed that helping Meeting Street School is a worthwhile event.
- Big River Signage Project Update:Peter G. reported that progress is continually being made.
- Westerly Land Trust – RI NEMBA Trail Project:President John would like to flag the trails within the next few weeks. Anyone interested in helping flag the trails should contact John. The trails will be cut this Spring. Matt suggested enlisting the Boy Scouts, who need community service hours, to assist in this project.
- IT/Web Communications Team Update:Thanks to Matt for the great new website. There was a suggestion that a new tab be added for Beginner Rides. Riding area updates are needed and President John will ask the Local VPs for those updates. The website and Singletrack will be updated with this year’s new officers.
- Johnston Landfill:Laurent reported that DEM is currently looking for options for the current trash situation in Rhode Island. One option under consideration is that they acquire land for a new landfill and the Big River Management Area has been mentioned as a possibility.
New Business / Information
- NEMBA Leadership Summit:April 8-10, 2016 on Cape Cod. RI NEMBA would like to send a few representatives to this event. It was suggested that we post on the site and Facebook to see who had an interest in going.
- NEMBAFest:June 17-19, 2016.
- NEMBA Rides:
- James H. reported that all RI NEMBA rides can be put on BikeReg for ease of scheduling. It was decided that this should be done.
- All RI NEMBA rides need to be scheduled and listed on the NEMBA.org site for insurance purposes.
Membership: Current membership total was not reported
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:00 PM at Doherty's in Warwick.