Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on February 7, 2017

Membership Total: 201 active members.

Topics:

  • Around the Room: President Matt welcomed everyone to 2017. He asked that everyone introduce and say something about themselves. Roy Najecki from the Appalachian Mountain Club was a guest at our meeting.
  • 2016 in Review: We had a great 2016 with many successful events including: the Annual Fun Rides, the Annual Big River Clean Up, the Second Annual Intro to Mountain Biking Clinic and the first Meeting Street School Bike Club. We have been complimented on our organization and thanked for our contributions to the bicycling community.
  • 2017 Focus: President Matt hopes that this year we can focus on what we can do this year rather than what we can’t do. Our goals for 2017 are our continued trail advocacy and to build on and improve our relationships with land managers.
  • Snake Den: Kathy Robbins of the New England High School Cycling Association (“NEHSCA”) has asked RI NEMBA for help with the course design, bridge-building and trail maintenance at Snake Den State Park in Johnston for the NEHSCA mountain bike race being held on April 29, 2017. Kathy has offered free race entries to volunteers who help with this project. The course would consist of a 10-mile and a 3-4 mile loop. Several members have ridden and/or walked the course and have identified that three bridges (3’ wide and totaling approximately 96’) are needed. Chris H. has written a proposal for building the bridges (including plan, design and supplies needed) to present to DEM for approval. Materials are anticipated to cost less than $1,500.00, but we will also look into getting materials donated or at a discounted cost. Roy N. asked about whether we had a “Wetlands Permit” for building the bridges. Roy explained the process for getting this approved and offered to send a sample proposal for our reference. Chris H. will follow up on this. Alan W. suggested posting signs at the trail heads notifying the local user groups of our plans and the upcoming events. Matt M. will work on the signs.
  • Westerly Municipal Land Trust: President Matt would like to get a 8-10 mile loop worked out to use as a new Fun Ride in the Fall. He would like to get a group of volunteers to walk the property and suggested the afternoon of February 19th or 26th. James H. volunteered to be point person for this project.
  • Arcadia – Shimano Bridge Project: Shimano has agreed to take the lead in organizing this project. Once again, Roy N. questioned whether a “Wetlands Permit” is needed.
  • Treasurer’s Report: Bart A. provided the Board with the monthly Treasurer’s Report.
  • Area Riding Reports: A reminder to everyone in order to minimize trail damage this time of year, ride early in the day while the trails are frozen. Alan W. suggested having a map for members to mark issues on the trails. There were no specific issues reported.

Volunteer Opportunities:

  • a) Tool / Supply Inventory List: President Matt asked for a volunteer to collect and then compile an inventory of all RI NEMBA tools, supplies and equipment. We can then assess the need for new equipment and keep track of what we have with a sign-out sheet. Alan W. volunteered to take care of this.
  • b) Riding Area write ups for website: President Matt reiterated the need for updated write ups of our riding areas for the website. He will take the lead coordinating the write ups along with maps using Trail Forks.
  • c) Single Tracks Author: President Matt is in the process of writing the article for Single Tracks. He asked for volunteers for authoring the future articles. The next few articles are due April 5, 2017, June 5, 2017 and August 5, 2017. Alan W. and Chris H. volunteered to write the article due June 5, 2017.
  • d) AMC Trail Committee Contact: Chris H. volunteered to be the AMC Trail Committee Contact.

Yearly Calendar:

  • Fun Rides: The proposed dates for the Fun Rides are as follows:
  • Arcadia: Sunday, May 7, 2017
  • Big River: Sunday, July 9th or 16th
  • Westerly Land Trust: Sunday, September 17th or 24th
  • Lincoln Woods: Sunday, November 5th or 12th
  • Trail Work Days:
  • Snake Den Bridge Project: to be determined, before April 29th
  • Westerly Land Trust: February 19th or 26th
  • Meeting Street Bike Club: The Meeting Street Bike Club will be held on Monday afternoons from 3 pm to 6 pm. It will begin on April 10th (be off on April 17th due to school vacation) and then continue on April 24th for a total of 6 weeks. Background checks are needed for all volunteers for this project.
  • Intro to Trail Riding Clinic: The Intro to Trail Riding Clinic will again be held in Ryan’s Park in North Kingstown. It is a six-week clinic beginning the week of May 15th or May 22nd. The Intro to Trail Riding Clinic will not be held on Mondays this year due to a scheduling conflict with the Meeting Street Bike Club. New day to be determined.
  • Big River Clean Up: We will once again work in conjunction with the West Greenwich Water Conservation Board for the 2017 Big River Clean-Up Project to be held on April 22, 2017. Peter G. asked and it was approved that we would make a $400.00 donation to the project. It was suggested that we get “RI NEMBA” T-shirts for our members to wear for this project.

New Business:

  • a) President Matt will create a survey to access the interest of changing the RI NEMBA monthly meeting to a different day and/or location. \
  • b) Big River Signage Project: Peter G. and Alan W. will be meeting with DEM in February.

The next meeting will be held at Doherty’s on March 7, 2017 at 7:00 pm.
President Matt thanked everyone for the attendance and participation and the meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm