Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on March 1, 2016, 7 PM at Doherty’s. 15 members in attendance.
Including Area Riding Reports, Membership Information, Discussion Topics and New Business.
Area Riding Reports / Trail Maintenance:
President John suggested we hold a series of trail maintenance days to work on clearing the trails in our Riding Areas. We will concentrate our efforts on the trails, as DEM usually clears the fire roads. The Area VPs will take the lead in coordinating the trail maintenance days at each of the Riding Areas. Alan W. reported that Big River was in pretty good shape except for a couple of big blow-downs that he volunteered to take care of. Tentative dates were set for Burlingame and Lincoln Woods, but they need to be confirmed with the Area VPs.
- Big River: Pretty Good Shape
- Arcadia: Not needed
- Lincoln Woods: Saturday, April 2, 2016 (tentative)
- Burlingame: Saturday, March 19, 2016 (tentative)
- Diamond Hill: Good Shape
- Weetomoe Woods: No report
- Group Rides: As reported last month, the Area VPs will be hosting a ride in each of their Riding Areas. The following rides have been scheduled:
- Lincoln Woods: Saturday, June 4, 2016
- Burlingame: Saturday, July 30, 2016
- Swansea: Saturday, October 15, 2016 (Bill O. will be hosting)
- Intro to Trail Riding Clinic: This year’s Intro to Trail Riding Clinic will be held at Ryan’s Park in North Kingstown. It is scheduled to begin in May.
- Northeast Mountain Bike Advocacy & Ride Summit: The Summit will be held April 1 – 3, 2016 on Cape Cod. Pete G. and President John will be making a presentation at the Summit entitled: “Social Media – Managing and Growing your Chapter”. After discussion regarding the long-term benefits of attending the Summit, it was decided that RI NEMBA send 10 representatives (including Pete G. and President John) to the Summit.
- Meeting Street School: Alan W. reported that the Meeting Street School beginner bike ride clinic will be on Monday afternoons at 3:30 p.m., starting in April. The first two rides will be held on the East Bay Bike Path, followed by two rides on the Blackstone Valley Bike Path. Background checks will be needed for all volunteers. The background check forms need to be completed and notarized. Wayne A. and Lauren H. will bring their notary stamps to the next meeting for anyone needing forms notarized.
- Big River Signage Project Update: Peter G., along with Alan W., are continuing to meet with representatives from RI DEM and the Town of West Greenwich to coordinate and move forward with the Big River Signage Project. Peter G. reported that we are building support and that progress is continually being made.
- Beginner Tab: President John reported that Chris H. has prepared a very detailed and thorough Beginner’s Guide to Mountain Biking that will be added to a “Beginner Rider” tab on our website.
- Conference Calls: A bi-monthly (or as-needed) conference call between the Board Members and Area VPs will be scheduled in an effort to streamline the monthly meetings. This call should enable details of the topics up for discussion to be worked out and allow the monthly meetings to move along.
Big River Parking: The parking area known as "Greasy Joes" on Division Road at New London Turnpike is private property and not a public parking lot. Please help spread the word and use the other parking areas for access to Big River.
- Award: The Rhode Island Community Food Bank has presented RI NEMBA with the 2015 Friend Award for donating more than 1,000 pounds of food, which was collected at the Lincoln Woods Fun Ride in November, 2015. Thank you for your donations.
Membership: Current membership total was not reported.
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 7:00 PM at Doherty’s.