Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on May 3, 2016
Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on May 3, 2016, 7 PM at Doherty’s. 23 members in attendance.
President John reported that the RI NEMBA Board of Directors (“BOD”) met recently to “hash” out big items, and bring ideas and recommendations to the monthly meeting. One realization was that often all we know about each other is that we ride mountain bikes. In the interest of utilizing everyone’s talents and interests, John suggested that everyone introduce themselves and say a little about themselves.
Area Riding Reports (as of 5/3/16):
- Big River: It was noted that some of the older trails need some attention and maintenance. Reports of debris on some lesser ridden trails should also be cleaned up. There are some big blow-downs that need to be cleared before go-arounds develop. A rogue trail builder (believed to be a dog-walker) is spray-painting dogs on trees.
- Arcadia: Trails are riding well. A trail maintenance project, organized in conjunction with Shimano, was completed and we are pleased to report a rolling grade dip was constructed. A bridge project, also in conjunction with Shimano, has been approved by DEM and will be scheduled soon.
- Lincoln Woods: Good riding conditions.
- Burlingame: Clean-up was done in preparation for the Battle of Burlingame. A new trail approved by the Park has been flagged and will be cut by the local high school team.
- Diamond Hill: There are reports of a rogue hiker trying to block ATV access on the trails.
- Weetomoe Woods: No update.
- Big River Fun Ride: The Big River Fun Ride will be held on Sunday, May 15, 2016 (orange is required). Alan W. will be reaching out for volunteers to help with this event.
- Intro to Trail Riding Clinic: A six-week Intro to Trail Riding Clinic is scheduled to begin on Monday, May 23, 2016 at 6:00 pm in Ryan’s Park in North Kingstown. NBX Bikes will be providing a limited number of demo bikes. Contact NBX’s Narragansett store (401-782-4444) to reserve a bike. Anyone under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times.
- Endurance Series: President John reported that the Endurance Series is currently on hold.
- Earth Day Clean Up: The 11th Annual Big River Clean Up was held on April 23, 2016 and was, once again, a huge success. Many thanks to all of the 180 volunteers who collected 23 tons of trash and filled 6 dumpsters in 3.5 hours.
- BOD Recommendations/Announcements:
- Seeking a Vice President of Government Relations. This position would ideally be someone with a knowledge of or connections with local government. They would be charged with keeping our chapter informed of any pending legislation which could affect or impact local trails and mountain biking.
- Seeking a Vice President of Public Relations. This position would ideally be someone with a marketing background. They would be charged with ensuring that RI NEMBA take advantage of all publicity opportunities, including inviting local politicians and representatives to our events.
- As one of the largest chapters of NEMBA, RI NEMBA needs to continue to build and maintain our relationships with local land managers. We need to represent and demonstrate our mission as a trail advocacy advocate, which includes:
- Maintaining current trails.
- No illegal trail building.
- No night riding.
- The addition of the following informational tabs to the RI NEMBA Website:
- List of legislators and their contact information.
- List of land managers for each riding areas and their contact information.
- A history of RI NEMBA.
- Who we are in the community homepage.
- Finally, the BOD announced the creation of the “Bravo Award”. The Bravo Award will be awarded to a RI NEMBA member who goes above and beyond the normal, outstanding scope of a RI NEMBA volunteer. This Bravo Award goes to Chris Hughes. Chris H. was thanked for his outstanding contributions and was presented with a token of gratitude.
- Ride Waiver Binders: Ride Waiver Binder will be kept for each RI NEMBA event/project. The purpose of the binder would be to collect and keep all signed waivers as well as collecting the total number of volunteer hours associated with putting on each event.
- Josh K. from NBX Bikes offered everyone an opportunity to test-ride an E-bike.
- Matt M. needs riding area updates from the VPs for the Website.
Membership: Current membership total was not reported.
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:00 PM at Doherty’s.