Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on May 2, 2017

May 2017
Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on May 2, 2017, 7 PM at Doherty’s. 16 members in attendance.

Membership Total: 217 active members.

Topics:

  • Around the Room: President Matt began and everyone introduced and said something about themselves.
  • Treasurer’s Report: Bart A. provided the Board with the monthly Treasurer’s Report.
  • Big River Clean-Up: The Big River Clean Up was, once again, a huge success. 37 RI NEMBA members joined the effort and helped in collecting 10 tons of trash in 3.5 hours. Again, a big thank you to Bruce McGowan who single-handedly cleaned up a good portion of Hopkins Hill Road in advance of the Clean-Up.
  • Meeting Street Bike Club: The next Meeting Street Bike Club ride will be held on May 15th. Alan W. noted that more volunteers are needed. If anyone has the time, please think about volunteering for this event. Updates for the locations of all future rides will be posted on Facebook.
  • Arcadia Fun Ride: The Arcadia Fun Ride will be held Sunday, May 7, 2017, again starting at Browning Mill Pond. Jason Behringer has mapped out three great loops for the ride. Registration begins at 9:00 am. Pacos Tacos will be there post-ride. We could use a few more volunteers for de-arrowing. Please contact Jason B. or President Matt if you can help.
  • Arcadia – Shimano Bridge Project: The Arcadia – Shimano bridge project is scheduled for Monday, May 15, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. It is within walking distance of Step Stone. Again, we will pre-cut and prepare the materials necessary for bridges. Shimano will provide some goodies for all volunteers.
  • Intro to Trail Riding Clinic: James H. reported that the Intro to Trail Riding Clinic will begin in June after the Meeting Street School Bike Club has concluded. June 12th is the projected start of the clinic. More details will be forthcoming.
  • Westerly Municipal Land Trust (Lucey Properties): President Matt reported that he has been in contact with the land owners and they are happy to show us the trails. President Matt will schedule a date to walk the trails with the land owners.
  • Lincoln Woods Trail Issues: President Matt reported that there has been some illegal trail building in Lincoln Wood. Brendon Dee, along with the Park Management, is addressing the issue and will take care of it.
    A bridge in Lincoln Woods, originally build by RI NEMBA many years ago, is in need of repair and extension. Permits, etc. are being sought from RI DEM to address this.
  • Single Tracks Author for upcoming issues: Alan W. will write the Single Track Article due June 5th and Chris H. volunteered to write the article due August 5th.
  • Area Riding Reports: Members are continuing to do a great job of cleaning up the trails. A downed tree was reported on “Lord of the Thighs” at Big River.

New Business:

  • Donny Green of the Red Shed Bike Shop has requested RI NEMBA’s assistance in building a pump track at Roger Williams Park. President Matt will get more information on this project. \
  • Leo C. presented a letter from Blackstone Heritage Corridor addressed to NEMBA. They are requesting a donation of $1,500 for the Blackstone River Bikeway Patrol. The funds would be use for bike packs, whistles, maps, first aid kits and bike repair supplies.
  • Alan W. proposed reducing the amount of our donation to the Meeting Street School. The contribution was originally intended as a one-time donation. The amount can be reduced if it becomes an annual donation.
  • Pete G. suggested that everyone read the article in Bike Magazine regarding the WARE Watershed Area in Massachusetts. It is an excellent example of how things can go bad very quickly.

Next month’s meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm at Doherty’s.
President Matt thanked everyone for their attendance and participation, and the meeting adjourned at 8:25 pm.