Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on November 7, 2017

Membership Total:Unreported.

  • Around the Room:President Matt began and everyone introduced and said something about themselves.
  • Treasurer’s Report: Bart A. provided the Board with the monthly Treasurer’s Report. Listed below are some identified expenses:
    1. Meeting Street Donation. RI NEMBA will make an annual donation to Meeting Street School at their Annual Telethon at the end of the year.
    2. Lincoln Woods Fun Ride Expenses.
    3. Holiday Party. We will subsidize the cost of the tickets as we have done in the past. Tickets to the Holiday Party will be $10.00 each.
  • Status of New Business from Last Month:
    1. Big River Clean-Up Branching Out. President Matt has continued to try and contact the land manager for Lincoln Woods and Snake Den as possible candidates for our clean-up efforts. Alan W. suggested adding the Westerly Land Trust area to our proposed clean-up sites.
    2. Neutaconkanut Hill Trail-Building. Amanda R. reported that she will pursue scheduling a meeting with the land manager and asked for advice and/or company from RI NEMBA at such meeting. President Matt will try and join Amanda.
    3. Trail-Building School Opportunities. President Matt will contact Philip K. in the new year when the schedule is finalized.
    4. Women's Mastermind Day. Amanda R. and Shannon L. reported on the Women’s Mastermind Day (a women’s brainstorming day) hosted by Stacey J. of Quiet Corner NEMBA, held on Saturday, October 14, 2017. It is felt that repair clinics (including trail-side repairs) and group rides (including intermediate women’s and co-ed beginner ride) are ways to increase ridership. After much discussion it was thought that we should pursue holding repair clinics over the winter months and will revisit this in the new year.
  • NEMBA Update: Matt S. reported on some recent NEMBA updates. Again, Matt S. asked what we could use from Regional NEMBA. Due to the recent storms, President Matt suggested that a bob trailer and/or a cargo bike would be useful for cleaning up trails. Local Chapters of NEMBA will be receiving increased rebates. Matt S. reported that NEMBA is planning on holding the Women’s Summit every other year as well as their Leadership Summit and full Summit. Matt S. also reported that Massachusetts Department of Conservation & Recreation (“DCR”) has announced that they will now allow E-bikes on all their property.
  • Nominations for Offices:Kerry A., RI NEMBA Treasurer, has decided to step down from the position as Treasurer. We thank Kerry for all of her time over the past years. Shannon L. has volunteered to take the position of Treasurer. Official voting will take place at the Annual Holiday Party/December Meeting on December 9, 2017. The following members were nominated and unopposed:
    1. President: Matt Mlyniec
    2. Board Seats(3): Craig Mello, Chris Hughes, James Hoard
    3. Secretary: Lauren Hoard
    4. Treasurer: Shannon Lonardo
    5. NEMBA Board: Matt Schulde
    6. Alt NEMBA Board: Peter Gengler
  • Westerly Municipal Land Trust (Lucey Properties): President President Matt reported that the November 5th Trail Build Day was again a great success. The trails (staying away from the cross-country trails) we are working on should be completed by the end of the year. President Matt gave high praise and thanks to Glenn T. for all his work designing and cutting the trails. Glenn T. has also provided a write-up of the Westerly Land Trust area for our web site. There are many mountain bikers using the area and President Matt would like to hold a Fun Ride at this location in the Spring.
  • IT / Web Communication Items: President Matt informed us that he again invited the land managers of our different riding areas to our monthly meeting in order to establish and/or maintain a good relationship.
  • Official RI NEMBA Rides: President Matt would like to have regular RI NEMBA rides. He will reach out to land managers to explore this opportunity. We should develop a core group of members to lead rides, especially any beginner rides.
  • Lincoln Woods Fun Ride: The Lincoln Fun Ride will be held on November 19th. As in the past, this ride will be a fund-raiser for the RI Food Bank. We are going to focus on cash donations this year due to the fact that some of the food collected is discarded by the Food Bank because of expired dates or lack of need of a particular item. Brendan D. explained that the Fun Ride will begin at the same place and consist of a 10-mile loop. Leo C. volunteered to lead two beginner rides; one beginning at 10:00 am and the second beginning at 11:00 am. Luke M. was asked to lead a NEHSCA ride. Brendan D. asked for 4 volunteers to take arrows down after the ride. Arrows down will begin at 2:00 p.m. and anyone interested in helping should contact Brendan D. He also asked if there was a grill was available and President Matt will look into this.
  • Holiday Party: The Holiday Party will be held at Doherty’s on Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 7:00 pm. Elections of officers will be held at the meeting. Nominations for officers will be held at the November Meeting.
  • Area Riding Reports: Due to the recent storms there are some blow-downs reported in Arcadia, Snake Den and Lincoln Woods. Burlingame and Big River seem to be in good shape. Thanks to all who cleared the trails.
  • New Business:
    1. Trail Advocacy: There was a question regarding how to teach trail advocacy to new mountain bikers. One suggestion was to create a brochure that could be put in local bike shops. Another suggestions was to try and get the NEHSCA (since they are the mountain bikers of the future) more involved in trail advocacy. There was much discussion and suggestions regarding how to proceed.

Next month’s meeting will be held at the Annual Holiday Party on Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 7:00 pm at Doherty’s.
President Matt thanked everyone for their attendance and participation, and the meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.