Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on October 4, 2016
Minutes from RI NEMBA meeting held on October 4, 2016, 7 PM at Doherty’s. 18 members in attendance.
Treasurer’s Report: Bart A. provided the Board with the monthly Treasurer’s Report. There was discussion and suggestions how to budget and spend our money.
Area Riding Reports:
- Big River: Riding well. There continues to be evidence of motorcycles.
- Arcadia: Riding really well.
- Lincoln Woods: Riding well.
- Burlingame: Trails are clear and riding very well.
- Diamond Hill: Riding well. A local resident continues to pile up sticks and debris to prevent ATV access.
- Weetomoe Woods: Riding fantastic.
- Arcadia Fun Ride: The Arcadia Fun Ride was held on Saturday, September 10, 2016 and was a great day. Participation was slightly lower than previous years due to it being on a Saturday. We should try and schedule our fun rides on Sundays for maximum participation. Many thanks to President John for coordinating this effort.
- Lincoln Woods Fun Ride: The Lincoln Woods Fun Ride will be held on Sunday, November 20, 2016. Once again the Fun Ride will be in conjunction with our Annual Food Drive. There was discussion about getting some media coverage for this event since in past years we have collected more than 1,500 lbs. of food.
- NEMBA Board Retreat: Matt S. reported on the NEMBA Board Retreat held in Carrabassett Valley. Matt raved about their trail system and encouraged everyone to visit and ride the trails. He informed us that NEMBA would like to be able to help the local chapters. They have therefore requested input from RI NEMBA as to how they can best assist us with any current plans or projects. This led to discussion and some suggestions were made.
- Chapter President: President John reported that 2016 will be his final year as RI NEMBA Chapter President. Due to personal reasons and his current workload, John cannot devote the time necessary to perform the duty of Chapter President. John will continue to stay active in RI NEMBA, but to a lesser extent. We thank John and Haley for all they have done for RI NEMBA and three incredible years.
- RI NEMBA Organization: RI NEMBA will be restructuring its Board of Directors for the 2017 year. The Board will now consist of a President, a Treasurer, a Secretary and three Executive Committee members. The President, Secretary and the 3 Executive Committee members will comprise the voting parties. The President and the 3 Executive Committee Member positions are open for the 2017 year. Anyone interested in running or nominating someone can do so by October 31, 2016. Nominations can be emailed to JSumner13@yahoo.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in running for one of the open positions we ask that you attend the November Chapter Meeting on November 1, 2016 when nominations will be accepted. Voting will take place at our annual Holiday Party in December.
- Westerly Municipal Land Trust: We are happy to report that Steve Rasmussen has stepped up and taken the lead with designing the trail system. We thank Steve along with David Smith, who will take the lead in building trails.
- Big River Signage Project: Pete G. reported that there has been no change. The thought now is to forego marking the trails and instead build kiosks with maps of the area.
- Trail Advisory Committee: Pete G. reported that his term is up this year. He and Craig M. will act as alternatives for this position.
The Bravo Award this month is presented to Jason Behringer. Jason provided immeasurable assistance with the preparation and organization of the Arcadia Fun Ride. Although Jason was not at the meeting, he is thanked for his outstanding contributions and will be awarded a token of gratitude.
New Buisiness / Information
- Wayne A. suggested inviting the Meeting Street School Representatives to our Holiday Party.
- Wayne A. reported that the Appalachian Mountain Club will be holding a work event in Arcadia on Sunday, October 16th. The AMC would love to have our assistance.
- Chris H. reported that he has participated in weekly trail maintenance projects in New Hampshire. There was discussion whether we could do something similar in Rhode Island.
Membership Current membership total was not reported.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m. The next RI NEMBA meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 7:00 PM at Doherty’s.